In Ireland and most of Europe leeks are the perfect winter vegetable. If you are tired of vegetable soup, here is a cheap and easy leeks recipe.
Ingredients (four people)
– 500 grams of leeks
– 100 grams of rice flakes
– 2 eggs
– 1 organic vegetable bouillon cube
– 50 grams of grated gruyere or cheddar cheese (optional)
– Salt & black pepper
1) Dissolve the bouillon cube in 250ml boiling water.
2) Wash and cut the leeks. Steam or boil them for 10-15 mins – they must be soft! Dry them.
5) Pour the mixture into a earthenware dish and cook it for 30 minutes (180 degrees / Mark 6). If you love cheese, you can grate some cheese on top of it before putting it into the oven. I think that it tastes better with gruyere cheese but it works fine with cheddar too.
This is an extremely easy, healthy and cheap recipe. I usually serve it with a real “Winter salad” i.e. lettuce, pumpkin seeds and grated carrots. I do not want to buy tomatoes in Ireland in winter times and I find that grated carrots are the perfect alternative. There are full of vitamins, locally produced and they add color to your salads.
– 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
– 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar (Vinagre de Jerez)
– 3 tablespoons rapeseed oil (Rapeseed oil can be produced in Ireland and it’s perfect for salads!)
– 1 pinch of black pepper
– 1 pinch of salt (optional)
In a small bowl, whisk together dijon mustard, sherry vinegar, rapeseed oil and black pepper.